One Year Term Beginning ASAP.
The Public Law Center (PLC), Orange County's pro bonolaw firm, is committed to providing access to justice for low-income residents. Now in its 36th year of service,
PLC works with over 1,400 volunteer lawyers, paralegals and law students to provide free civil legal services, including counseling, individual representation, community education, and strategic litigation and advocacy to challenge societal injustices.
- Admission to California Bar or awaiting Bar exam results
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills required
- Experience or in representing low-income people in civil litigation or
- administrative proceedings a strong plus
- Knowledge of elder and consumer legal issues preferred
- Commitment to working with volunteer lawyers and law students
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Must have own transportation, valid CA Driver’s license, and good driving record
- Applicant must qualify for service under the AmeriCorps program, including mandated criminal background checks
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide quality legal services to low-income Orange County individuals over the age of 60 in collaboration with an established team of attorneys
- Provide consumer legal services to clients over the age of 60. Assist elderly clients with unraveling the consequences of elder financial abuse, including working with law enforcement, Adult Protective Services, doctors, banks and concerned family members to counteract the abuse. Defend elderly clients from predatory consumer transactions where elderly clients may be taken advantage of, including automobile transactions and payday loans.
- Oversee case referrals and provide support to pro bono attorneys.
- Conduct community education presentations to elder clients and related community organizations
- Represent PLC at legal networking and community outreach events
- Occasional evening and weekend work required
- Other duties as assigned
Salary & Benefits
- Annual living allowance, as well as financial support for housing, student loan repayment, and other permissible reimbursable living expenses.
- Benefits: Education award; Health, dental, vision and life insurance; State and local bar dues paid.
- Interested applicants should contact PLC with any follow up questions
Please submit Resume, Cover Letter and Writing Sample (10 pages or less) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
Public Law Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status.